Check out my pages!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Growing Olive Plants

What does the Bible say about having kids?

  • Kids are a heritage from the Lord, a reward, and that we are blessed when we have a lot of them. (Ps 127)
  • God tells us not to look down on them. (Matt 18:10)
  • God said the kingdom of heaven belongs to "such as these" (Matt 19:14)
  • AND in describing what Jerusalem will be like when He lives there, God says that "the city streets will be filled with boys and girls playing there." (Zech 8:5)


This is encouraging and exciting - I especially like the last verse implies that having kids happily playing is something in which that God delights. We have a lot of that:).


And yet having kids isn't easy allllll the time. God has used a friend's blog post to correct and encourage me.


Read part of it below:

“Blessed is every one who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways…your children shall be like olive plants all around your table.” (Psalm 128:1,3)

I absolutely love the picture this verse paints, and since Jim and I are in the season of raising children, we are naming the theme of this blog after the verse. This is quite intentional, and perhaps even counter-cultural. In a culture where children are considered an inconvenience, we are choosing to believe God’s word that counts children as a heritage from the Lord, a reward, like arrows in the hand of a warrior, a cause for happiness! If I believe this about the children God has given us, then I can cancel the pity party that says, poor me, I can’t sleep in, travel the world, read a book in an afternoon, skip dinner preparation, take a shower in peace…you get the point.

And what’s up with the image of olives?? Let me share something that I recently learned about cultivating olive trees.

Apparently, there are two different methods of planting olive trees in the mediterranean part of the world. The first method takes a branch from an already existing tree and places it in a hole dug for the new tree. The branch is then watered and fertilized. Eventually the tree grows and bears fruit.

The second method also begins by cutting a branch off of a mature tree. But rather than planting it in the ground, it is placed into a soil plug and cared for in a nursery until it is strong enough to be transplanted. While in the nursery the little sapling is watered and fertilized. In due time the gardener sees that the plant is ready and he transplants it into the field. Eventually it bears fruit.

So what’s the difference between the two trees? The quality of the fruit.

Upon leaving the earth to return to heaven, Jesus commissioned His disciples (and us) to go and make disciples. So when I look at these little people under my care, I must seriously consider how I’m training (discipling) them. Am I giving them the bare minimum they will need to grow and bear fruit? Or am I tenderly nurturing them by teaching them God’s word, praying for them, equipping them for life so that they will bear great big juicy fruit?

After reading this, I made of list of the thoughts I'm not allowed to think anymore - any pity party thoughts. (Doesn't mean I won't wish I can sleep more or have more time, but the standard has been set so I can catch myself:).)


God has tasked me to grow olive plants with great joy.

And so grow olive plants I shall, by His power and grace ALONE.


Praise God for His perspective.

1 comment:

  1. I love that image! Thanks for sharing! I may just have to pass the word around on the care and nurturing of olive trees (and children).

    ReplyDelete